The original station building defied the odds and survived over 100 years. This despite it ceasing to be used as a station office in 1840 only two years after it opened. Although it was demolished, rather unkindly, in the 1950s for the construction of a car park for the then newly designed station, it had left its imprint on sufficient maps, minutes and images and photos for its development and redesigning to be properly traced.
Obsorne's illustration (left) provides evidence of how the Coventry station was actually constructed. Small variations are visible from George Aitchison's original design (centre) itself not dissimilar to the design at Boxmoor. The end elevation, absent from the Aitchison's plans as they have been published, has been reconstructed. Download the article to follow the evidence.